You know it’s essential to choose the right argumentative topic. What topics are you supposed to write on? You don’t want to select a topic that some other people are already done. You wouldn’t also want to pick a topic where sourcing for data and information will be difficult.
How then do you choose a topic to avoid all of these potholes? Let’s look at some of the criteria that determine the right argumentative essay to choose from.
Criteria for Choosing the Right Argumentative Topics
When choosing an argumentative topic, the utmost criteria are that the subject must be interesting to you as the writer and to your readers. Other significant measures include;
- It has to be interesting to the writer
An argumentative essay is majorly about finding the right facts to back up your line of reasoning. Therefore, you would be doing a lot of reading, researching, and in-depth writing, you cannot afford to pick a boring topic.
- Have some idea or firsthand information about the topic
You need to have prior knowledge about the subject, no matter how little. The more knowledgeable you are about the topic, the easier it is for you to understand and gather the needed information.
- Feel free to take on controversial topics
The best argumentative essay topics are mostly controversial. If everyone agrees on the same line of thought and there is no conflict, then it wouldn’t be an argumentative essay in the first place. Therefore, be bold to take up controversial topics.
Some Interesting Argumentative Topics
Argumentative essay topics can be classified. Let’s look at some of the categories we can have and the few examples of topics under them.
- Argumentative Essay Topics for College
- Do men earn more than women in corporate society?
- Should the college curriculum still include the study of Shakespeare?
- Are test scores the best way to judge student’s competence?
- Is getting a college degree worth the cost?
- Modern-day students face more social pressure than it was in the past.
- Argumentative Essay Topics for High Schools
- Is homeschooling the best compared to the public school education system?
- Do smartphones help the learning process?
- Do teenagers feel more comfortable talking on social media than face-to-face?
- Does the school system prepare a student for the real world?
- Subjects that should be removed from the high school program
- Education Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should school uniforms be made compulsory?
- Does technology benefit the educational system?
- Must all students learn a foreign language?
- Should sex education be done in classrooms?
- Studying in a single-sex class is better than learning in a mixed one.
- Social Topic Issues
- Should male workers receive a paternity test too?
- Should torture be acceptable?
- Should there be punishment for failed parenting?
- Should a candidate’s appearance be considered for job hiring?
- Could boredom be the cause of getting into trouble?
Other categories with which we can classify an argumentative essay topic include;
- Argumentative Essay Topics for Social Media; e.g.
- Social media had destroyed real-life communication.
- Argumentative Essay Topics on Technology; e.g.
- Is spy application an invasion of privacy?
- American History Argumentative Essay Topics; e.g.
- What effect did European colonization have on Native Americans?
- Argumentative Research Paper Topics; e.g.
- Should the government look to reduce child care costs?
- Modern-day argumentative Essay Topic; e.g.
- Are fast foods making America fat?
- Argumentative Essay Topic on Animals; e.g.
- Hunting for fun and sports is unethical and should be banned.
Your mind would probably start suggesting additional topics for an argumentative essay when you are done reading our list. Keep a journal of the ideas that come and see which one will be best to work on based on the criteria given above.